Ideally, you should have a house with a large patio where your dog can run and play, but many people who live in apartments also want to have a dog. In the city, especially, almost everyone lives in an apartment. You should not deny yourself the luxury of having a dog if you live in an apartment or plan to live in an apartment, but understand that there are certain rules to follow.
Before acquiring the dog
Choose the right dog.
Not all dogs can live in an apartment. A good rule to follow is not to acquire a large breed dog, and in many cases not medium, if you have a small apartment. Of course, there are exceptions, it depends a lot on the size of the apartment, also on the size and temperament of the dog. There are huge dogs that just want to lie on the couch and therefore do not require much space. However, even these dogs will need to do activities and move inside the house. That is why an apartment can be made small to the big dog. There are even small dogs that have a lot of energy and need space. Whatever it is, if you live or plan to live in an apartment, acquiring a small breed dog will avoid complications.
Before acquiring the apartment
Make sure dogs are allowed and read your contract. Nowadays it is not so easy to have a dog in an apartment because many landlords do not allow it.
This is due in part to prejudices and also that some not-so-responsible owners did not know how to educate their dogs, caused discord, noise, complaints and possibly destruction of space. In the end all dogs and their owners end up paying for the error of some. Also, even if you buy an apartment, in some cases you will not be allowed to have a pet.
It is very important that you read your lease or purchase contract. Many things are said but have no value if they are not written. It would be your word against that of others. Your contract must include a clause on what kind of pets are allowed, how many pets you may or may not have, and anything else pertinent to having a pet, such as rules about taking the dog on a leash in the building or neighborhood, excessive barking or other behavior that will not be allowed and what would happen if you violate these rules. If there is nothing similar in your contract, ask the landlord or the company to add it. You must protect yourself and your dog or other pet. If it is not in your contract, you will not be protected.
Understand legislation on specific races
Each community, town or city has its own rules, some stricter than others. Legislation against specific breeds applies to dogs that according to certain laws, based on beliefs, prejudices and fears, rather than true facts, are considered dangerous. One of the most discriminated dogs by these laws is the pit bull, either a mongrel dog or a purebred dog. Maybe in that apartment you are allowed to have an adorable shih tzu but not an American pit bull because he is supposedly "dangerous."
Although they are usually not fair, if you take a dog of a breed that is not allowed, you will lose and your dog will suffer the most. Also, even if you have a dog of a breed that is allowed, do you really want to live in a place where they discriminate against animals?
Choose the apartment and furniture well
If you live on a high floor, will you have enough time to take the dog out if you need to go to the bathroom? Just this is not a problem if you already have a very polite dog that knows what can bite and what not, but if you have just acquired a puppy your new and beautiful furniture could become victims of an hyperactive machine that does not know when to stop . Consider if you really need such expensive furniture if you want to buy a dog and think about having an apartment on a ground floor.
Think of the apartment space
Sometimes you can't live in an apartment even with a Chihuahua, the smallest breed in the world. The dog needs to have a cage and other items. Decide where you will put them. If your apartment is the size of a shoe box, it may be better to buy a dog in the future when they will not overwhelm each other.
Give him water and food
It is very basic, but it is important to say: the dog has to have clean and fresh drinking water always at your disposal. In addition, we need to feed him with a high quality meal, which does not contain cereals or by-products, as many times as necessary depending on his age, health and daily activity.
To avoid dirtying the soil, in animal stores we will find some species of mats (similar to those sold in computer stores for the computer mouse) on which we can put the trough and the feeder. They are very easy to clean and will prevent the animal from leaving traces of food where it should not.
Train it from an early age
The dog needs to learn a number of things in order to live in society. Therefore, you have to start teaching as soon as possible, and what better way to do it inside the home where there are not as many stimuli as there are abroad. But how to do it?
- You must always use the same word for each order. For example, if we want him to feel, we will say "Sit" or "Feel", or if we want him to be still, we will call him "Still."
- Avoid pronouncing your name before order, since you might not answer us. It is better to say "Come Kira", than "Kira come". Why? Because his name is a word that we will repeat a lot throughout his life, and it must have a neutral meaning for him.
- We will use the furniture to teach you things. If there is something that the hairy loves and that also relaxes him a lot is sniffing. Therefore, we can hide treats between cushions or under furniture (always in an accessible area), say "Search" and see how you enjoy.
- In the event that we do not want to get on the sofa or bed, do not let it be done for a single day. Every time we catch it in any of these furniture, we will lower it by pointing the finger at the floor and saying "Low." If you ignore it, we will take a treat that we know you like very much, we will place it in front of your nose and, as the animal moves, we will lower the arm so that the candy is on the ground. When the dog is finally down, we will give it to him and take the opportunity to pet him and say "very well."
- We never have to hit or mistreat you in any way. If we yell at him, we hit him or treat him badly, the dog will live in fear towards us, towards his family, which means that he will not live in peace. It is going to be an animal that can bark for feeling lonely, that can destroy everything we find in our absence, that can become sick due to the tension and accumulated stress. If we are going to have an animal in these conditions, it is better not to have it.
For more information, we recommend reading this article.
Teach him not to make noise
The dog expresses himself with his body language, but sometimes he will also use barking and groans. It is completely natural for him, and it would be very cruel if we denied him the right to express himself in that way. In fact, removing the vocal cords is prohibited in countries like Spain.
What you have to do is teach him to be happy. So it will hardly bark at night or when alone. For this, what we must try is take him for a walk every day and spend as much time as possible.
Shoot it to avoid unwanted litters
Overpopulation of dogs is a problem that is far from being solved. There are many people who want to raise their dog and then do not know what to do with puppies. Many of these children will end up in the streets or slaughtered in the kennels.
To avoid it, we have to take to castrate our dog when you are six months old if you are female, or seven months if you are male.
Don't leave it out
The dog must live with us. Although we have a balcony or a patio, the dog deserves to live with the family, with the family. If we leave it outside all day, it will feel bad and could be harmed.
With these tips our dogs can live happily in an apartment.
Teach a puppy to do his needs in a specific place: basic steps
1- SUPERVISION: We must accompany the puppy to the place where we want to urinate or defecate with a frequency that suits your needs. In order not to be too demanding, we must apply the following principle:
It has been studied that a puppy is able to endure without urinating or defecating a number of hours equal to the months he has, plus one. That means that, for a two month dog, for example, we should do the following sum:
2 months + 1h = 3 hours
For one of three:
3 months + 1h = 4 hours
And so on.
We cannot ask for full voluntary control until the dog is between five and six months old!
2. ANTICIPATION: In addition to taking him to urinate and defecating every X hours, we must anticipate. The puppy will want to eliminate, especially:
- After sleeping
- After eating
- After playing
We will have to accompany him to the right place after those three actions.
The idea is to try to make the puppy "wrong" and eliminate where it does not correspond as few times as possible. You have to get it almost always right because, when you do, you will receive a prize and that will reinforce the behavior.
3. PRIZE: When the puppy eliminates in the appropriate place, we will reward him. We must be effusive: congratulate him with caresses and verbally and, if we want, adding an edible prize indicated for puppies.
4. AT NIGHT: Probably, the puppy will not be able to endure all night without eliminating, so it will be necessary to enable a restricted area with newspaper that can be accessed while we sleep.
If the animal sleeps in the kitchen, for example, we will place its bed, blanket, some toy and whatever we want it to have within reach and cover the rest of the floor with paper. Little by little, and as the dog gets used to using the newspaper, we will reduce the covered area of the newspaper.
In addition, during the night it will be advisable:
- Restrict water (as long as our veterinarian does not tell us otherwise).
- Give diner to the puppy between three and five hours before going to sleep.
5. OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS:
– Maintain a routine: The puppy must be able to predict when he can urinate or defecate. If we prevent you from accessing the newsprint area, or if we do not accompany you there in the moments of greatest probability of elimination, you may choose to make your needs anywhere else.
– DO NOT PUNISH: punishing, we could then have problems of many types (that the puppy scares us, that he gets used to respond to the punishment with aggression, that he understands that he cannot urinate or defecate in our presence because we are going to fight him and, then, when we go out with he does not want to do it on the street if we are ahead ...). In any case, punishment is not necessary. Puppies learn fast and you just have to have a little patience.
– Never use bleach and clean with non-enzymatic detergents: bleach is an ammoniacal detergent (urine contains ammonia) and dogs, when they smell it, may want to urinate on it. If you are interested in this topic, do not forget to read this article about how to clean dog urine and eliminate the smell.
Well, I hope I have given some guidelines that can help you if you have a puppy to teach. Think you need perseverance and patience, but following these tips you will learn easily.