The toughest cat hairs can be removed from garments with adhesive rollers, packing tape and even with damp cloths
- Author: By EVA SAN MARTÍN
- Last update: March 12, 2014
When a cat enters our life, everything becomes a cat! Shirts, pants, sweaters. All garments seem determined to cover themselves with a thin layer of our friend's hair. However, as detailed below, Cat hair can be removed from clothes with simple tricks: between them, use glue rollers or packing tape, resort to latex gloves and moistened rags and it even works to soak the clothes in the most critical situations.
How to remove cat hairs from clothes?
When a cat enters our life, everything becomes a cat! T-shirts, sweaters, pants and even the sofa seem to be covered with a thin layer of our friend's hair. This fact has an obvious explanation: cats are hairy and their hair is part of their charms. "He hair plays an important role in the sense of feline touch, in addition to protecting you from extreme temperatures, cold or heat, "explains Michael Foss, a veterinarian at the University of Washington and author of 'Anatomy and psychology of the cat'.
The protective function of feline hair explains that you need to renew it to keep it healthy. This change occurs, especially when temperatures are more moderate, that is, during spring and autumn in the northern hemisphere. And this hair is the one that almost inevitably ends up in the clothes of those who live with felines.
However, when it comes to love as hairy as the cat, it is important not to lose your temper. He Feline hair can be removed from clothes with some simple tricks or, at least, be reduced significantly!
1. Remove cat hair from clothes with daily brushing
He brushed cat daily It is the best way to remove dead hairs from the cat's body and, consequently, to prevent them from falling and ending up on the clothes. "Cats need us to brush their fur every day to keep it healthy and protect their skin," explains veterinarian Patricia González.
The rule of three, in this case, is simple: when the cat is better brushed, more dead hairs will be trapped on the spikes, and less will land on our clothes.
2. Remove cat hair with glue rollers and adhesives
Brushing the cat, however, does not always completely prevent his hair from ending up in clothes. Hugging and cuddling the cat is a way to reduce stress, and for an animal lover it is hard to resist. What to do then to remove the cat hairs that get caught in the clothes?
The most mode Fast and easy to remove the feline's hair from the garments is to use a clothes brush or paper roller with glue. This type of accessories is sold in many specialty stores for animals and can even be found in larger establishments at prices not too high (from two or three euros, with four spare parts).How are they used? The adhesive surface slides over the garments so that it picks up the hairs.
A cheaper alternative, however, is to use packing adhesive tape: Although it is a bit more uncomfortable (it does not allow rolling for clothes), it performs the same function. Simply wrap your hand around a piece of tape (the part that does not stick), and hit the adhesive side on the garment.
For the less tricky, some commercial brands have created the so-called hair remover brushes, which can be found from six euros.
3. Rubber gloves or balloons to remove cat hair from clothes
The rubber kitchen gloves (such as those used for scrubbing or latex ones) create static electricity by rubbing on surfaces such as clothing. This accumulation of electric charges is very useful to attract cat hair attached to clothes. However, it is necessary to periodically remove the trapped hairs, in order to make the glove more effective.
A more fun way to create this static electricity to end the cat's hair on clothes is to use a swollen balloon. In the same way, you have to rub the ball by the sleeves and other clothes with hairs and they are, due to the effect of electricity, trapped in the balloon! If there are children at home, they will undoubtedly love these housekeeping sessions.
4. Remove cat hair from clothes with wet cloths and sponges
A rag or moistened sponge better removes cat hair from clothes, it also serves to soak the clothes
Water is a great ally when it comes to removing the cat's hairs that have been left on the clothes. "My trick is to pass a cloth dampened by the clothes and rub, since it is very effective to catch the hairs retained in the clothes ", explains Maite López, cleaning professional and owner of an adopted cat.
Another option? You can also use a moistened sponge. The key, again, is to remove the hairs collected from time to time and soak the cloth or sponge, so that the captured hairs are floating in the liquid, and released from the cloth.
5. Put the clothes to soak, so that the cat's hair floats
In extreme cases, Extreme measures. When a pant or sweater seems insurmountable by the amount of cat hair that has attached, a trick is to put that garment to soak in a bowl with plenty of water, allowing the clothes to float in the liquid. In this way, the hairs accumulate with each other, and a good part of them will rise towards the surface. Thus they will separate from the garment, which was the objective.
6. Prevent the cat from entering the cabinets
This measure is preventive against feline hairs in clothing, but no less important. And is that keep the closet doors closed It is the best barrier to keep them away from clothes and prevent them from filling with hairs. As the saying goes: it's better to prevent than to cure.
In addition, the room where we store most of the clothes can be declared "hair free zone", that is, it is convenient to restrict the entry of cats to this room. It will be difficult, since these animals are capable of performing a thousand and one moneries in order to make us succumb to their charms. But it will be worth it, at least, try.
7. Hairy loves demand patience
If after starting all these tips, there are still some cat hairs on the clothes, the best advice is patience. The hairy loves that we share with cats and dogs have their peculiarities And, without a doubt, one of them is to accept the fact that these four-legged companions. They are surrounded by hairs! That's why we love you, right?
25 ways to remove cat hair at home
Having a cat forces you to be tolerant of hair, there is no other remedy. But, since everything has a limit, and cats can flood everything with hairs unless we neglect, it is convenient to know effective methods to eliminate them. How about an arsenal of 25 tricks to fight them?
1. Adhesive tape on tape or roller: When passing the adhesive tape, with or without roller, for any surface, the hairs are stuck and we end the problem. The rolls for packaging are advisable, they are cheaper than the rolls sold for this specific use, and the result is the same.
Even so, the roller is more comfortable, as it has a handle, while the tape must be cut and applied directly, rolling it in the hand. It is always better to check before the glue does not leave a signal on delicate surfaces, although it does not have so much glue as to transfer it to clothing and other places. Know more.
2. Wet roller: There is a siliconized plastic roller that, when wet, becomes sticky and removes all cat hair and other particles such as dust spots. It is sold in drugstores, veterinarians and pet stores. Know more.
3. Scrub gloves: those of scrubbing or those of wet latex type surgeon go great to group hairs and thus remove them effortlessly. We will move the hand in a circular way, and it is especially useful when the hair is on surfaces such as carpets, sofas, chairs, etc.
If you are doing well, to facilitate its use you can reserve one for this use and put the name of your cat, as a practical and funny detail. Know more.
4. Stocking sock or panty: For difficult areas, simply put your hand inside an average sock and pass it through clothing or any fabric so that the hairs are glued to it. This trick also serves to pass it through the cat's hair, wrapping the brush in a panty. Not recommended for porous tissues that trap hair. Know more.
5. Brushing the cat: Cats do not release hair only in the molting season but throughout the year. Especially domestic cats, as they are exposed to artificial light, they continuously release pellets.
Brushing the cat is an effective way to prevent pelambreras throughout the house. Doing it once a day is perfect, also for the animal's health. We must take care of the chosen brush, which is not too aggressive to your skin. For the rest, cats often love this gesture. Know more.
Note: rubber mittens that work as a brush are usually great for removing cat hair on different surfaces, such as the typical stuffed fabric of scraping trees.
6. Special brushed and cat bath: Effective brushing to the fullest is what we get if we use Furmigator type brushes. They are gadgets that eliminate 90% of dead hair in dogs and cats.
They do not cut, they do not shear, but they are beasts in eliminating excess hair. If, in addition, we bathe the cat, and take care of its health by feeding it with quality food, the result will be even greater. Know more.
7. Wet towel: Passing a wet towel can serve us well for an emergency or to give the final touch when using other methods that leave traces of hair. We will spend it repeatedly downwards, stretching the garment if necessary so that it does not wrinkle.
Interesting for items that cannot be washed, as an alternative method to the trick that consists of putting the garment in the dryer with one with a sheet of fabric softener.
8. Synthetic sponge: The typical synthetic sponge, the smallest trinkets they sell in any store, also serves to remove cat hair from the carpet, upholstery or clothing in general. It is a method similar to what we have mentioned about the brush within an average.
If the hairs are very hooked, a trick is to add baking soda before passing it. These white powders help to release them and improve the results. Know more.
9. Rubber broom: The brooms with rubber hairs that Vileda took out in her day and now we can find even in the Chinese are also a good weapon exterminator of hairs. Simply, it must be passed as if it were a brush. Of course, the stick is not necessary,)
By the way, this trick is inspired by a magic brush for cats and dogs that sold in maxizoo, and that looked a lot like it. Know more.
10. Special brush with curved bristles: They are specially designed brushes to remove pet hair. They are very efficient.
In one direction the hairs stay on the brush quite easily, and on the contrary, the brush releases the hairs to facilitate the task. Know more.
11. Velvet brush: It is the classic anti-blouse brush, which disengages the hairs from being attached to its surface. They have a comfortable handle, they are usually red and the active part is velvety plush. It is used dry and wet. Know more.
12. Professional mops: The gauze that is used to cover professional mops collects hair well on floors, but you have to remove it after doing each room to continue cleaning the house effectively.
In their favor, they have to be easy to wash, can be used several times and each of them has two faces. Interesting in both terrazzo floors and enparquets.
13. Sodium bicarbonate: The baking soda that we have in the kitchen is very useful for unhooking the unruly hair from the surfaces. It manages to eliminate static electricity that adheres them and leaves them looser. It is perfect to use before vacuuming, brush, sponge, stocking, glove or any other similar method. If we let it act for a few minutes, it will also absorb odors. Know more.
14. Powerful vacuum cleaner or electric broom: The vacuum absorbs a lot of hair, and there are brands that offer special accessories to vacuum pet hairs. There are even special heads to catch hair on floors and upholstery.
Several Dyson models that admit a special brush to pass directly to the pet. We can also vacuum directly on the clothes and upholstery. Highly recommended for floors and deep cleaning. On the other hand, the electric broom also collects hair on floors and carpets.
15. Wireless vacuum cleaner: A portable wireless vacuum cleaner, one of those usually used for the car, is also very good for cleaning small areas where cat hair accumulates. They are more practical than large vacuum cleaners, because of what some carry batteries that give them autonomy and also because of their lower weight.
16. Disposable dust trap mop: These mops that are attached to the corresponding broom-type brackets are ideal when the floor is clean and it is not necessary to pass the broom, that is, when we have just cleaned and suddenly we discover that there are still some hairs.
It can also be useful if we clean on alternate days, for a maintenance on the days of rest, because a couple of minutes are enough to pass it throughout the house. If they seem very expensive, they are, we can solve the issue by buying white label. They also serve to clean dust from furniture and others. In this case, use the same spare parts for the floor or some duster type.
Let us not forget the microfiber mops in the form of a glove, they are also a solution to pass on work tables and furniture in general, keyboards and the like.
17. Mocho broom: The very modern mop broom that they started selling in teletiendas and now we find everywhere, including>. It is a kind of round rubber block that slips with a lever that is in the stick. The brands and prices vary. Know more.
18. Plate-shaped robots: If your problem is the skeins of hair from the ground, the typical balls that look like the West, your house will be perfect with these dish-shaped robots, which work by programming. They alone do everything, and whenever you want.
There are filters, special to collect cat, dog and pet hair in general. Of course, they also aspire to anything else, such as feed pellets dropped from the feeder, dirt, dust, etc. They are a marvel of home automation, but the price is prohibitive.
19. Vaporetta-vacuum cleaner: Little is comparable to the deep cleaning that gives us the water vapor of the machines that vacuum and disinfect at the same time. They are very expensive machines, with prices that are around one thousand euros, and their use is heavy, but as a complement to the rest of the methods it is sensational.
20. Before washing clothes: Before putting the clothes in the washing machine, remove the hairs and then soak it in a zafa, with a good amount of water for a while, so that it releases more pelambrera. Then wash as usual. (See also the trick of the dryer).
21. Before ironing: If when we take our clothes out of the washing machine we continue to see hairs, after drying, we can pass the adhesive tape or other methods of those mentioned. Of course, remember to always do it before ironing.
22. Dryer: Another solution, which works before washing or without washing. A few turns in the dryer are enough for the hairs to get caught in the filter.
It's simple: put the garment five minutes, as long as the care instructions allow. The dryer air will eliminate it, and the result will be even greater if we introduce a softener sheet, because we will eliminate the static that keeps the hairs stuck. Ideal for sheets or blankets before washing, but for example a suit better to brush or others.
23. Window cleaner: In this to clean the cat hairs, you have to try and try until you find the best method. You can also try moistening a rubber glass cleaner, the typical T-shaped, and passing it through all types of surfaces, from sofas to jerseys. It can also be used dry, in both cases drag the hairs and form balls that are easy to remove.
24. Wet your hand: Sometimes, the simplest method is the most effective. It all depends on the surface that we have to clean, but if we see ourselves in a borderline situation or, it is simply practical, we can even help ourselves by spraying water beforehand to drag the fur.
The steps to follow are very easy: stretch the surface, and keep it tight while we pass the moistened hand. We draw circles until we lift the hair, which forms balls. Depending on the garment, you may also want to pass your hand from top to bottom with energy. Rinse and repeat the process as many times as necessary. and ready.
25. Wet a cloth: Finally, another method as simple as the previous one. We only have to take any cloth, better if it is microfiber or cotton, wet it and use it as if it were a brush. It is recommended to pass circularly. Perfect if we have spare scraps.